30 December 2005
- Died: former "Tonight show" hose Johnny Carson (b. 1925, d. Jan. 23); actress Sandra Dee (b. 1942, d. Feb. 20); actor John Raitt (b. 1917, d. Feb. 20); brain-damaged victim Terri Shiavo (b. 1963, d. Mar. 31); Pope John Paul II (b. 1920, d. Apr. 2); R&B singer Luther Vandross (b. 1951, d. July 1); former "World News Tnoight" anchor Peter Jennings (b. 1938, d. Aug. 7); civil rights acitivist Rosa Parks (b. 1913, d. Oct. 24); children book author Stan Berenstein (b. 1923, d. Nov. 26)--heck my childhood wouldn't have been same if it wasn't for that guy; former Crips founder Stanley "Tookie" Williams (b. 1953), by execution (Dec. 13)
- Ah, we can't forget Hurricane Katrina, which devestated the gulf coast especially New Orleans. Infact, don't forget it was a record breaing hurricane season, especially Dennis, Rita, Stan, and Wilma.
- But before that was the London bombings (Jul. 7), and then the bali bombings (Oct. 1)
- Sports: The Chicago White Sox win the World Series (basball), the New England Patriots win the Super Bowl (football), and the San Antonio Spurs win the NBA Finals (basketall). Oh yeah, the NHL season was cancelled, so no Stanley Cup winner here. Sorry Sharks fans!
- Michael Jackson was acquitted, while Stanley "Tookie" Williams was not.
- And that moron Hwang Woo Suk, whose stem cell tests were FAKE!
- If i forgot anything put it in the comments
Peace 2005, hello 2006!
29 December 2005
According to the WikiPedia, "this sitcom is about Chris struggling through his childhood". It seems right, as Chris's mom wants Chris to go to the mainly white jr. high school farther away as she's afraid that the mostly black jur. high school will badly influenced Chris. Oh yeah, right now chris is fighting Caruso...and then the bus driver gets the bullies away. This is my first time watching the show; it seems pretty funny and true respresentative of a typical black childhood in the '70s.
28 December 2005
This gangsta flick stars former N.W.A./Westside Connection rapper Ice Cube as cop named Bucum and Mike Epps as a criminal named Reggie. They try to foil two diamond thieves so that Reggie can get his lotto ticket back and be rich. Reggie has problems of his own; he got accused of trying to shoot Bucum, but eventually they settle with each other and try to catch the tehieves.
I had been tracking this movie since i was 11, but my parents woulnd't let me watch it since it was rated R---btw, R for "strong violence, pervasive language and brief sexuality." (Courstesy Yahoo Movies) But on Tuesday evening, i tuned into UPN to watch it, and taped it and watched it on Wednesday and today. It didn't seem that rated R to me, but I'll get to that later. Overall the film wasn't that great. Sure, the story is catchy and with the action scenes, but it's juts another one of those gangsta films with the typical generic formula of typical crime movie. I'd give this film a C, I'm sure that there are other films like "Boyz n the Hood" or "Juice" that are much better than this overrated garbage! Sure, you may argue it's good because of Ice Cube, but that's no good excuse.
Now, why did i say the film didn't seem R? Because UPN censored it. Hmm, the MPAA rated the film R for "strong violence, pervasive language and brief sexuality." Strong violence? Yeah, it seems that UPN let the gun fights and wounds through, as there are other show on TV right now like "CSI" or "Law and Order" which get away with this sometimes worse. Pervasive Language? Well, sort of. They let words like "d-mn", "h-ll" go through, but censor out every single use of "a--", "f--k", "s--t", and "n----r" from the original verison. I think it was all the swearing that got the film the R rating. They replace "f--k" with "freak" (such as in "I don't wanna hear yo freakin...") or "s--t" with "spit", "sti" (sometimes you see Bucum saying "bull spit" or "bull sti"). "N----r" is replaced by "trigger" or some other ryming word. Sometimes, the cussing is censored so you see the character's mouth moving even though he/she isn't even saying anything; that seems to be a problem when censoring out "motherf--ker"...sometimes they make the character saying "mother" and let his/her mouth move mutely, sometimes they mute the word out entirely while the characters mouth still moves. (and the funny thing is that the close captions reveal an alternative cuss like "clucker" or "trucker" when the character doesn't say it in the audio) I bet that some violent scenes and sexuality were cut out too. The language censorship is particularly silly, especially since most viewers know what the character was really supposed to say (especially with "bulls--t"...dang FCC!) and the censorship makes it only more obvious what words are missing.
In short, "All About the Benjamins" wasn't as good as i thought it to be. Try and watch some other gang-related movie instead. In the meantime, I'll try and watch "Hustle and FLow" and see if that is any better than this piece of dog poop. Meanwhile, I have no interest in seeing "Deliver Us From Eva" on the wb this friday night, given that this film is just plain mediocre.
26 December 2005
I've decided to join in Myspace since it's become the hot trend in my high school. check out some project in progress right now. In english, i'm reading Lorraine Hansberry's play A Raisin in the Sun, about a black family with dreams for a better life. In Physics, i'm building a musical instrument that can play "Mary Had A Little Lamb". Anyway, all last week i was in florida on vacation, returning to the west coast on xmas evening. I went to walt disney world, universal studios, and kennedy space center in 7 days in orlando. Overall, it was very fun. I'm glad to be back home so that i can finish unfinised business. Anyway right now i can't really think of anything to complain, rant, or comment about so sayonara for now.
Well it's pretty sad to see "Monday Night Football" depart from ABC the day after Christmas. Today the New England Patriots beat the New York Jets 31-21. Some of you other football fans will laugh all because it's only a network change but it's sad for me because I don't have cable at home and on Monday nghts during NFL season i won't really have anything good to watch. R.I.P. Monday NIght Football on ABC.
Speaking of evening football, now that in 2006 that ESPN will air Monday Nights, what will happen to SUNDAY NIGHT football? find out soon...did you also know that in the first MNF game on ABC the Cleveland Browns beat the New York Jets 31-21 also? Wow, in both historical games the Jets had to lose by the same score. (No offense to Jets fans.)